Solar battery backup systems are a smart investment for solar energy storage and emergency backup.
When comparing different solar battery systems, it can be difficult to determine which one is the best if you are unfamiliar with technical specs and lingo.
Option One Solar is here to provide you with the latest updates on what to look for when choosing a solar backup battery in 2023.
Top Performing Solar Battery Backup Systems In 2023
- Enphase IQ 10™ Up to 40kw, LifePO4, 10-year warranty
- Powerwall + 13.5kw™ Up to 80kw, 10-year warranty
- Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kw™ Up to 80kw, 10-year warranty
What is The Solar Power Storage System?
Home energy storage systems, usually we call home solar power backup systems, generate electricity for the customer when they have a blackout or other emergency usage such as medical devices.
Electricity can be stored in an electrical battery system with the capacity of your choice during purchase.
How does Solar Backup Battery work?
Backup battery systems not only can provide you the power during an outage, but they can also help to charge your electric vehicle during nighttime to reduce your reliance on the public grid system.
Keep in mind that the solar storage battery size and its cost will depend on your current energy usage and how much energy you generate from your solar PV system.
Do You Need A Solar Battery Backup Storage?
When installing batteries for solar power systems, you can store your solar energy at home instead of sending it to the power grid. When your panels are generating more electricity than you need, they will charge your solar power backup battery.
When your solar panels aren’t generating energy, such as at nighttime, you can draw from the stored energy on your battery when you need it.
Your electricity is only sent to the grid when your battery is full. You only draw electricity from the grid when your battery is low.
Home solar battery storage systems can also provide energy during power outages. Depending on the battery bank size, they can act as emergency power systems for families and homes.
How Do We Compare Solar Batteries?
As you consider your solar panel battery storage options, you’ll want to compare each type of battery based on the capacity, depth of discharge (DoD), round-trip efficiency, and overall battery life to find the best batteries for solar power.
Make sure to check the following specs:
- Capacity: This is the total amount of electricity measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) that your battery can store.
- Depth of Discharge (DoD): Indicates the amount of capacity that can be used.
- Round-Trip Efficiency: The difference between the amount of energy you put into a battery and the amount of energy you’ll get out of it.
- Battery Life & Warranty: Battery life spans can be measured with three different metrics: Years, Cycles, and Throughput.
- Safety: Every battery on this list is safe for your home, but different types of battery chemistry have passed tests for safety at levels beyond government-mandated requirements.
- Degradation: It captures how quickly that decrease in battery capacity occurs.
Net Zero & The Importance of Solar Panels System Size
Best Solar Panels In 2022 – Top 5 Manufacturers
Top Solar Backup Battery Brands
Enphase IQ Battery 10
The Enphase IQ Battery is a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) energy storage system for residential and light commercial use. The IQ Battery IQ 10 is a 10 kilowatt-hour (kWh) unit designed to work with the Enphase microinverter system and provide backup power during outages. The battery is also compatible with other AC-coupled energy storage systems.
The IQ 10 has a compact design and can be easily installed indoors or outdoors. The battery management system is integrated with Enphase’s monitoring and management software, allowing for real-time monitoring and control of the system.
The battery is also designed for long lifespan and safety, with a 10-year warranty for peace of mind. The Enphase IQ 10 is part of the Enphase Home Energy Solution and is designed to provide a simple and reliable solution for storing and using solar energy.
The capacity is the one that lost a point in comparison to the Powerwall series. The maximum installation is 4 Enphase IQ Battery 10.
Tesla Powerwall 2
The Tesla Powerwall 2 is a high-capacity home battery system that enables homeowners to store excess solar energy and use it later when needed.
With 14 kWh of energy storage capacity and a 5 kW continuous power output, the Powerwall 2 can power essential household appliances during a power outage, reduce reliance on the grid, and potentially lower energy costs.
The Powerwall 2 has a monitoring system and a user-friendly app for easy management. It is also designed with advanced safety features to ensure reliable and safe operation.
Tesla Powerwall Plus
Tesla Powerwall Plus is a powerful home energy storage system that allows you to store energy from solar panels or other renewable sources. The system consists of a wall-mounted unit that houses a rechargeable lithium-ion battery and a control center that manages and regulates the system.
The Powerwall Plus has a capacity of 13.5kWh, enough to power a typical home for up to two days. It is also equipped with advanced safety features, higher output, and an integrated inverter, making it a complete all-in-one solar energy storage system.
The Powerwall Plus is designed to be easy to install and use. It is modular and can be stacked up to three units high, allowing you to expand your energy storage capacity as needed easily. The unit measures 58” x 29.5” x 8.7”, making it compact enough to fit in most homes. It has an impressive 90% round-trip efficiency rating and can charge up to 7kW of power.
Lithium-Ion Vs. LiFePO4
Both of these types of batteries are from the “Lithium” family.
- Lithium-Ion batteries have become very popular for a wide variety of applications, such as your smartphones. However, Lithium-Ion batteries have a few issues:
- They tend to run HOT. So hot that they have been blamed for some fires.
- They have been known to combust and explode when they are punctured.
- Average charging cycles – about four to six years or 550–1,600 cycles*.
- Lithium-Ion batteries are considered toxic waste at the end of their life and are non-recyclable.
No need to worry! The Lithium-Ion solar batteries on our list have been tested to be safe within government consumer products guidelines.
- LiFePO4 (or Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are much more stable and safe for home use. The cycle lifespan of a LiFePO4 battery is over four times longer than a Lithium-Ion polymer battery.
- LiFePO4 batteries are the safest in the “Lithium” family.
- They won’t overheat and catch fire on their own, even if the outside of the battery is punctured.
- The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is also non-toxic, won’t leak, and can be recycled at the end of their lifespan.
- It also has about 4-15 years lifecycle of 1,000-10,000 cycles*.
- LiFePO4 batteries can handle high temperatures with minimal degradation.
The Best Solar Battery In 2023
Warranty: The Tesla Powerwall warranty in the US covers the battery and inverter for 10 years and covers any defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty guarantees a minimum of 70% battery capacity retention over the 10-year period. The warranty may be extended to 20 years upon request and with an additional fee.
Maximum Capacity: Tesla Powerwall and Powerwall Plus have a higher capacity to maximize the backup energy capability, meaning they can store more energy and power your home for a longer period of time.
System Reliability: Tesla is a well-established brand with a strong reputation for the quality and reliability of their solar battery system. Tesla Powerwall and Powerwall Plus have been extensively tested and are known to be reliable, long-lasting energy storage solutions for the easiest solar energy integration.
User-Friendly Integration: Tesla Powerwall and Powerwall Plus integrate seamlessly with the solar panels and the Tesla app, allowing you to manage your energy usage, monitor your battery performance, and control your energy storage system from your phone. The big part for California homeowners is that users are able to set up the time they prefer to discharge their battery for excessive energy storage.
Based on our findings above, the Tesla Powerwall is the best solar battery of 2023 for our local homeowners.
These batteries are more efficient and easier to integrate with current solar owners and new solar customers than other competitors. At Option One Solar, we always choose the best to fit our customers.
Want More Solar Information?
Option One Solar is always available to answer your questions and help you get reliable energy for your home and family. When you’re ready to own your power, contact us.
*Actual lifecycles may vary based on usage and environmental conditions.