Solar battery backup systems are a smart investment for solar energy storage and emergency backup.
When comparing different solar battery systems, it can be difficult to find out which one is the best if you are not familiar with technical specs and lingo. Option One Solar is here to provide you with some tips on what to look for when choosing a solar battery in 2022.
Top Performing Solar Battery Backup Systems In 2022
- PowerBaron 40.4kw™ Up to 80.8kw, LifePO4, 25-year warranty, non-toxic waste
- Neovolta NV14.4kw™ Up to 24kw, LifePOF, 10-year warranty, non-toxic waste
- LG RESU16H Prime 16kw™ Up to 32kw, 10-year warranty, Toxic waste
- Tesla Powerwall 2 13.5kw™ Up to 80kw, 10-year warranty Toxic waste
What is The Solar Power Storage System and how does it work?
Home energy storage systems, usually we call home solar power backup systems, generated electricity for the customer when they have a blackout or other emergency usage such as medical devices.
Electricity can be stored in an electrical battery system with the capacity of your choice during purchase.
Backup battery systems not only can provide you the power during an outage they can also help to charge your electric vehicle during nighttime to reduce your reliance on the public grid system.
Keep in mind that the solar storage battery size and its cost will depend on your current energy usage and how much energy you generate from your solar PV system.
Do You Need A Solar Battery Backup Storage?
When installing batteries for solar power systems, you can store your solar energy at home instead of sending it to the power grid. When your panels are generating more electricity than you need, they will charge your solar power backup battery.
When your solar panels aren’t generating energy, such as at nighttime, you can draw from the stored energy on your battery when you need it.
Your electricity is only sent to the grid when your battery is full. You only draw electricity from the grid when your battery is low.
Home solar battery storage systems can also provide energy during power outages. Depending on the battery bank size, they can act as emergency power systems for families and homes.
How Do We Compare Solar Batteries?
As you consider your solar panel battery storage options, you’ll want to compare each type of battery based on the capacity, depth of discharge (DoD), round-trip efficiency, and overall battery life to find the best batteries for solar power.
Make sure to check the following specs:
- Capacity: This is the total amount of electricity measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh) that your battery can store.
- Depth of Discharge (DoD): Indicates the amount of capacity that can be used.
- Round-Trip Efficiency: The difference between the amount of energy you put into a battery and the amount of energy you’ll get out of it.
- Battery Life & Warranty: Battery life spans can be measured with three different metrics: Years, Cycles, and Throughput.
- Safety: Every battery on this list is safe for your home, but different types of battery chemistry have passed tests for safety at levels beyond government-mandated requirements.
Lithium-Ion Vs. LiFePO4
Both of these types of batteries are from the “Lithium” family.
- Lithium-Ion batteries have become very popular for a wide variety of applications, such as your smartphone. However, Lithium-Ion batteries have a few issues:
- They tend to run HOT. So hot that they have been blamed for some fires.
- They have been known to combust and explode when they are punctured.
- Poor charging cycles – about three to five years or 400–1,200 cycles*.
- Lithium-Ion batteries are considered toxic waste at the end of their life and are non-recyclable.
No need to worry! The Lithium-Ion solar batteries on our list have been tested to be safe within government consumer products guidelines.
- LiFePO4 (or Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are much more stable and safe for home use. The cycle lifespan of a LiFePO4 battery is over 4 times longer than a Lithium-Ion polymer battery.
- LiFePO4 batteries are the safest in the “Lithium” family.
- They won’t overheat and catch fire on their own, even if the outside of the battery is punctured.
- The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is also non-toxic, won’t leak, and can be recycled at the end of their lifespan.
- It also has about 4-15 years lifecycle of 1,000-10,000 cycles*.
- LiFePO4 batteries can handle high temperatures with minimal degradation.
The Best Solar Battery In 2022
Based on our findings above, the PowerBaron is the best solar battery for your home.
This LiFePO4 battery is more efficient and lasts longer than its competitors, as well as offers the only 25 Year Warranty on the market. So with Option One Solar, your entire system is warranted for 25 years.
Want More Solar Information?
*Actual lifecycles may vary based on usage and environmental conditions.